Write-in winner for PA State Senate Scott Wagner. Image courtesy of Breitbart.com.
Believe it or not, write-in candidates are suddenly winning their elections. Media outlets are calling the two most recent incidents ‘warning shots’ to the two [read more]
H/T Cindy Sheehan and Ballot Access News:
California’s top-two election system –by its very design– excludes third parties from the general election ballot. But, as the law makes its debut in statewide races, minor parties say it’s undermining their ability to even [read more]
By James Doull
Alan Reynolds is an Independent candidate running for lieutenant governor in California. Choosing to run as an independent, according to Reynolds, is one thing that sets him apart from the other candidates in the race.
Running as an [read more]
The San Francisco Chronicle and other newspapers in California are reporting that former Lt. Governor Abel Maldonado has ended his campaign for Governor of California. The Chronicle reports:
The departure of former Lt. Gov. Abel Maldonado from the [read more]
Two-time Emmy award winning investigative journalist Ben Swann is attempting to make history and he needs your help. On Monday, June 10, Swann launched a massive fundraising effort for his “Liberty is Rising: Truth in Media” project on Kickstarter.
The Kickstarter project [read more]
This joint statement from the Green, Libertarian and Peace and Freedom parties was distributed to members of the State Legislature on May 23, 2013. This document is available as a PDF here.
Top Two: The Biggest Threat to the Electoral System: Benn Swan Interviews Christina Tobin
You’d think the political controllers would be happy and content with the advantages they’ve built into the electoral system they’ve crafted for [read more]
Benn Swann interviews Christina Tobin of Free and Equal Elections Foundation about the elector process often called “Top [read more]
According to an article at Ballot Access News yesterday, the California Senate Elections Committee unanimously passed AB 1413, which makes several changes to the “top-two” system.
Among the changes is getting rid of the write-in space in elections for Congress and state office. [read more]
This article by Paul Mitchell highlights how Top Two has impacted California elections, as opposed to how it was supposed to effect elections. Mitchell sets out to separate myth from reality:
Much of this year’s legislative and congressional drama has focused on the decennial redistricting, but the greater impact could come from our seemingly annual attempt to change election systems in California.
Whether it is blanket primaries, open primaries, ranked-choice voting, or the new top-two primary election system, we appear to be unable to satisfy our appetite for election system changes.
With the constant shifts come myths and misperceptions about what it will all mean.
I have heard Sacramento insiders claim the system awards the victory outright to anyone who gets over 50 percent in the primary. Not true.
I have heard PAC directors say they are not going to spend money until November because none of these races will be decided in June. Not wise.
I’ve heard consultants retooling campaigns because Republicans will be voting for the best Democrat and Democrats will vote for the best Republican. An overstatement at best.
The Top Two primary system will allow all candidates to run on the same ballot, designating themselves as “preferring” a party or no party at all. Voters will be able to vote for anyone. And the top two candidates, no matter if one gets 99 percent and the other gets 1 percent, will go on to the General Election.
The article goes on to discuss specific races and distracts where the [read more]